How to Use Time Management Matrix
There are 168 hours in a week. This does not seem like a lot when you see it from a student's perspective. You probably don't feel like you have enough time to complete all of your homework, projects, and study for tests. But a time management matrix can help you prioritize your work better.
It's no surprise that many of us want to make better use of our time. The time management matrix helps you understand how you spend your time and productivity.
Consider how you now spend your time as a student on various activities throughout a typical day, week, or year. You can use the time management matrix below to start your own as you read through this article.
Is the task important?
Essential tasks are those necessary for your success in life. For many people, this means
- Learning and working for a career
- Maintaining and improving one's health
- Spending time with family and friends
Important activities are those that help you achieve your objectives. These can be found in the time management matrix's Q1 and Q2.
Unimportant tasks are things that don't help you achieve your goals, like
- Surfing the Internet for memes
- Watching a whole season of a TV series
- Browsing social media
Focusing on these unimportant tasks rather than the important ones leads to a lack of progress as you are not moving towards your goals. These tasks exist in Q3 and Q4.
Is the task urgent?
Asking this question is probably a good indicator of the amount of stress you feel like a student. Urgent tasks are close to the deadline and ask you to finish them as quickly as possible. They are Q1 and Q3 tasks.
Q1 tasks are Urgent/Important, and 'must do' tasks that require your immediate attention!
- Finishing the assessment by the assessment deadline
- Studying for tomorrow's exam
Q3 tasks are not that important but they are asking for your attention. For example, interruptions at home, emails, etc.
Use the matrix to prioritize your time
Sometimes, you might dwell on a task longer than you needed. This is because you probably want to clear out the most important and most urgent tasks first. Try to prioritize your time on the important task first, be it urgent or not. On the other hand, the cause of the time management problems is spending too much time in Q3 and Q4. The solution for your time management problems is to:
- Reduce your time in Q3 and Q4 and spend more time on Q2. Use your academic planner and your study schedule to do this. By spending your time on Q2 activities you devote time to important activities before they become urgent. Don't make postponing your responsibility a habit. It will be bad for you in the future.
- Focus your immediate attention in Q1.
Good student time management involves more Q2 time
You are probably aiming to be as productive as possible with the time management matrix. If good time management involves more in Q2, how can you get more time in this section? You can spend more time in Q2 by
- Clarifying what is essential
- Knowing what your time wasters are
- Using a student planner
- Maintaining good study techniques
What do you think? A time management matrix is important to help you develop a good time management habit. It will help you get your days in order and keep your day from running you. Once you use it, you might realize that you have time to research your future, start a personal project, or prepare your uni application.
Need help with your uni application? Let ALL-in give you clear guidance!
What we can do for you:
- Maximize your university entrance prep with Admission Mentoring.
- Explore your interests and dive into different industries through Career Exploration.
- Improve your grades and knowledge through Academic Tutoring.
- Highlight your personal brand through the Writing Skills improvement program.
Let's #TakeOnYourFuture with ALL-in Eduspace! Remember, #itsALLintheprep!
SIGN UP FOR A FREE INITIAL CONSULTATIONMore
You may also like this article
AP Calculus: An Admissions Edge and Alternative Path to Advanced Math
Are you considering taking calculus in high school? Wondering if it can give you an edge in college admissions? Well, you've come to the right place! In this blog post, we'll explore the topic of taki...
Mastering the GMAT: Your Ultimate Guide to Conquering the Test
As you embark on your journey towards higher education, the GMAT stands as a significant milestone in your path to success. Whether you're considering business school or looking to pursue a career in ...
3 Tips on GMAT Practice Test for Maximum Score
Are you planning to take the GMAT exam soon and want to maximize your score? One of the best ways to prepare for the exam is by taking practice tests. However, that alone is not enough. To truly maxim...